13 Mind-blowing Online Location Marketing Facts for Every Local Business
Whether you’re an employee trying to make the case for location marketing to your boss…or the owner seeking some gentle persuasion to take the plunge…we’ve got you covered with these 13 mind-blowing location marketing facts.
- Google location searches are growing 50% faster than general searches. Location marketing is a red hot investment with Google, Facebook, and Apple investing heavily into all things local.
- Over 60% of all mobile searches are conducted with the aim of getting local results. What’s more, the number of mobile searches has surpassed desktop searches. So you don’t need to be an online marketing guru to figure out there’s a crazy amount of local online searching going on every single day.
- Local online searches lead to conversions. An incredible 78% result in a favourable business outcome. This could be a phone call, a shop visit, or a local purchase.
- Local SEO delivers more clicks and calls to local businesses than any other marketing channel out there says a 2015 study from BrightLocal.
- Your location proximity is an asset. Studies reveal that when customers search online for a local business or for service nearby, they usually don’t want to travel any more than five miles to get to it. Making sure your location data is showing up accurately where and how they search is key.
- Multi-local businesses that improved the accuracy and reach of their location data (e.g. their name, address, phone number, and other business attributes) by 20%, reported a 450% increase in traffic to their location pages while on-page action conversion rates (eg a phone call or sending an email) increased by 216% (Sim Partners).
- Voice search is experiencing unprecedented growth. 20% of all mobile searches are voice searches. For local business it’s a big deal. Some 22% of voice searches involve looking for local business information. By 2020 Comscore estimates 50% of all online searches will be voice.
- Near me searches are also exploding. These are searches where people add the words “near me” or “nearby” to a local search query. These searches have increased twofold in the past year alone. And an incredible fifteenfold since 2013.
- Mobile marketing has surpassed both in-store browsing and window shopping as the way to research a product before making a purchase. If your products or services aren’t showing up locally you lose to your competitor.
- A whopping 91% of smartphone users report having their phone at arm’s length 24-7. For most of us it’s a constant companion accompanying us everywhere we go from dawn to dusk. Collecting location data along the way. As Placeiq states “this always-present nature of the mobile device offers a unique view into the day-to-day behaviors and patterns of consumers”.
- 50% of visitors to Google Maps only do business with the top three results. If you’re not appearing at the top, you don’t exist.
- Restaurants are the most searched for local business online. Healthcare sees the highest ROI from their local online marketing efforts.
- Online recommendations about local businesses matter. A lot. 87% of us trust them as much as we do personal recommendations. Reports have also shown that searchers will often click on a lower-placed search result if it stands out because of its reviews.